Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Breaking-In Waffle Iron + Cornmeal Waffle Recipe

Monday morning was my first attempt at making waffles. For Christmas, one of John's aunts gave us a fantastic Proctor Silex Belgian Waffle iron (model #26008Y).



The first thing you want to do when using any appliance for the first time is thoroughly read the instructions. This particular waffle iron has non-stick grids, but it's still required to wipe them down with warm soapy water, then a wet cloth first. Secondly, I had to brush the top and bottom grids with vegetable oil just for the first use. This may be different with appliance brands.

I made the mistake of using the waffle recipe on the back of a package of pancake mix, so my waffles came out like waffle-shaped pancakes. I also didn't use enough batter (the iron said 1/4 cup but up to 1/2 cup could fit into the grids) because I was trying to play it safe. At least I know now that I can be a little more daring with how much I use. I would have taken pictures of the finished product, but by the end of it, I was kind of moping that they hadn't turned out the way I wanted. However, John said they tasted good and it was my first time, so he counted it as a success.

One thing I've always wanted to try is a great Southern favorite - fried chicken & waffles. I managed to find a fantastic recipe for cornmeal waffles that can be made either for breakfast (with fresh fruit on the side) or as a savory dish, with dried herbs included.

* 1 cup yellow cornmeal
* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
* 1 tablespoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
* 5 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
* 1 cup milk, more or less as needed

Note: You can alter the amounts of the flour and cornmeal either way depending on how much flavor you want, as long as you use a total of two cups. If you use more cornmeal, you might need to add a little more milk, and start with less milk if using more flour. A thick batter means that it should pour slowly from a spoon or scoop, as you might envision lava streaming down the sides of a volcano. For a sweeter waffle, more sugar may be added.

In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt until well blended. Add the eggs and butter. Gradually add the milk, mixing well until a thick batter is formed.

Prepare your waffle iron according to the manufacturer's directions and make the waffles. Serve them as they are finished or, if necessary, keep them warm in a preheated 300° F oven on a wire rack set over a baking sheet.

Recipe credit: Teri's Kitchen

1 comment:

  1. My husband makes waffles - I've always been afraid to!

    ReplyDelete