Sunday, June 3, 2012

Get Cooking with Filippo Berio!


I love to cook and I'm always finding new ways to change recipes to suit my needs. In the beginning of May, I had emergency surgery to remove my gallbladder, which has since led to changes in my diet. No more greasy, fried foods and very little fat. Being a girl who loves bacon, it's a little hard for me to adjust, but I've found a way to cook more healthfully, and that's with Filippo Berio olive oils. What are the benefits of olive oil?

-High in monosaturated fats (aka "good fats)
- Contains no trans fat or cholesterol
- Contains no sugar, salt, or gluten
- Can help reduce the risk of heart disease, as well as well as help control blood pressure and blood sugar levels.

Olive oil is a great substitute for butter in cooking and baking. For example, if a recipe calls for 1 teaspoon of butter or margarine, you only need 3/4 teaspoon of olive oil.

I tried a recipe courtesy of Filippo Berio for Broken Spaghetti with Shrimp. This recipe serves 8 people, but I reduced the amount of ingredients to about half, which provided dinner and leftovers for the next day.

Broken Spaghetti with Shrimp

INGREDIENTS

- 1 teaspoon (or more) dried, hot, red pepper flakes
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled (I used pre-minced garlic I bought at the grocery store - about two teaspoons)
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves (omitted because I didn't have any available)
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Salt to taste
- 1 pound frozen medium-size cooked shrimp, defrosted
- 2 tablespoons Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup frozen chopped broccoli or spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry (I used fresh spinach because that's what I had on hand)
- 6 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 pound spaghetti or other long pasta, broken in half
- 1/4 cup reserved cooking water
- Coarse black pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS

1. Mince the red pepper flakes, garlic, parsley, and mint together. Transfer the mixture to a bowl, Stir in the zest and lemon juice, and a pinch of salt. Toss the shrimp in the mixture and allow it to sit for 5 minutes.

2. Heat olive oil in a large saute pan. (I used a wok; it worked just as well.) When the oil is hot, stir in the shrimp and cook 2 minutes. Stir in the broccoli or spinach and cook 1 minute more. Stir in the tomatoes and cook 1 minute longer. Keep the mixture warm.

3. After draining the spaghetti, add it to the shrimp along with the reserved water and reheat quickly until everything is hot. Correct the seasoning with salt and pepper and serve.

You can find this recipe and other great recipes at filippoberio.com!

As you can see from this picture, the shrimp had a beautiful golden texture, thanks in part to the olive oil:



Olive oil can be used for just about anything from making your own salad dressings to creating marinades for chicken and steak to enhancing the flavor of roasted vegetables. Filippo Berio even has a recipe for Dark Chocolate Souffle using their olive oil. I can personally say I've been using Filippo Berio for years but due to my new lifestyle change, I'll be using it almost every day now.

Note: I received information and samples about Filippo Berio olive oil through BzzAgent.com for the purpose of writing this blog. I did not receive any further product or premium, nor was I paid to write this review/blog post. By posting this blog, I am fulfilling one of my obligations as a BzzAgent for this campaign.

No comments:

Post a Comment